Articles About Ravenhurst Cottages

The Grade II listed cottages at the end of Ravenhurst Street in Highgate are steeped in history. Ravenhurst Cottages were originally opened in 1848 by the Lench’s Trust as almshouses for poor widows and single women from Birmingham.

Located in Highgate, near the busy roundabout at Camp Hill, a modest elevation of three brick gables fronts the street, merely hinting at the large courtyard of immaculately preserved Victorian cottages that lie behind.

Whilst its current surroundings include many late 20th century commercial and industrial buildings, at the time of their construction the cottages would have been set on a wooded hill that formed part of the Ravenhurst estate, aptly named after its population of ravens.

Read More >